Monday, February 17, 2003
Ralf Goegens of the Chicago Boyz (and Bill Quick's comments) has emailed a very thoughtful letter, throwing a bit of cold water on some of my more brash triumphalism in this post about punishing the Germans and French. (I admit it: hearing about German and French diplomatic obstructionism got me a bit irritated.) It'll take at least a couple of hours for me to sit down and properly comment on it, but I absolutely agree with Mr. Goegens that it's important for us to remember that this is not an America-vs.-Europe issue, really, but more of a foreign-policy right-vs.-left issue. As such, it's important not to alienate those in Germany (and Italy, and Spain, and Belgium, and France, too) who share our views; they are already beleaguered, and it serves no purpose at all the spout venom about Nazis or "surrender monkeys" when referring to the whole nations. (Referring to their governments as such, though, can be both fun and good for you!)

Anyway, Ralf has given me permission to post his email, and I will respond to it as soon as I have the opportunity. But I thought it important to say at least this much for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive