Tuesday, August 12, 2003
7:46 PM | Posted by E. Nough
This is just all kinds of creepy and wrong:
JACKSON, Miss. - Students in Biloxi public schools started classes this week under the watchful eye of Webcams that will keep track of every classroom and hallway.Naturally, it's done to give some people the warm-fuzzy feeling of being watched by an older sibling:
School and security officials said they believed Biloxi is one of the first districts in the nation to install cameras in every classroom.
Biloxi started installing the cameras two years ago, and now that the project is complete, there are more than 500 cameras in district schools, said Deputy Superintendent Robert Voles...
The cameras, which don't record sound, are contained in circular domes on the ceiling, giving a sweeping view of the classroom. Administrators can view the images on the Internet by entering a password.
Voles said the camera installation is a precaution, and that students and teachers have said they feel safer. The cameras were paid for with casino revenue received by the district, which has 6,500 students...I don't know why this bothers me so much. It just seems like something out of bad 1980s science fiction.
State Rep. Les Barnett Jr. says having cameras in the classrooms of North Bay Elementary School, where his two children are enrolled, gives him a sense of security.
- ► 2004 (93)
- Interesting bit from this article about the Japane...
- Instapundit seems taken aback and troubled by this...
- It's late, I'm tired, and I don't feel like dealin...
- It seems that Arab terror activity in Israel has d...
- Well, that didn't take long. Only a few years aft...
- A few months back, just after the Columbia launch ...
- I don't listen to talk radio much, but I'll catch ...
- I can't remember where I found this (probably at D...
- Hi. I'm Ralph Nader. Please vote for this gu...
- This is just all kinds of creepy and wrong: JAC...
- Charles Johnson links to an MSNBC story on rapes a...
- ▼ August (11)
- Make Money Online
- Staunch Moderate
- Rittenhouse Review
- Work at Home News
- Second String Swap
- Investment Banking Monkey
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- TRR Blog
- Bloombox Reviews
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry