Sunday, April 20, 2003
10:14 PM | Posted by E. Nough
Some of you may be lying awake nights, thinking to yourself, "I wonder how Estonia's high-tech industry is doing?" Well, you'll be happy to know that Estonia is blazing the Internet trail.
Banking is actually booming in this former Soviet republic -- via Internet. The number of Estonians who bank online soared from zero in 1997 to 700,000 this year. That's half the country's 1.4 million people.Why is Estonia so successful? The article lists a bunch of good reasons. One of them is that, apparently, Estonians are... well...
From Tallinn to Tartu, scores of bank branches have closed, forsaken by cybersavvy Estonians. Nearly all businesses, from one-man shops to utilities, interact with banks in cyberspace...
The government also set up a site called "Today, I'm Deciding" to let citizens offer their own opinions on legislation. It's got a chat room where they can debate the merits of bills or offer up legislation of their own.
One suggestion offered on the site, which is continually monitored by a webmaster in the prime minister's office, called for easing restrictions on carrying swords in public...
Part of the technology revolution can be attributed to Estonians' famously taciturn but curious nature.I will now add the Nerdy Estonian™ to my repository of ethnic stereotypes. Thank you, Mr. Somera!
"If a Frenchman loves to sip wine with his friends and a German enjoys his beer, then an Estonian likes to sit behind his computer on a dark evening, surfing the Net and at the same time talking on his mobile phone," Estonian communications executive Toomas Somera once said.
Rapidly developing Internet connectivity, connection between computers and politics, and the propensity to spend evenings in front of a computer -- does that mean that there are Estonian bloggers out there? Naturally.
- ► 2004 (93)
- So the Tel-Aviv suicide bombers are both British c...
- C-SPAN is rebroadcasting the Palestinian satellite...
- Blogger Permalink Fix To everyone using Blogger...
- Lest it accidentally pick up a loose scrap of cred...
- More reality TV Oh, this is just great.
- Andrew Sullivan mentions something that's been bot...
- Some of you may be lying awake nights, thinking to...
- The normally reasonable Aziz Poonawalla retreads a...
- What an excellent story: Iraqi Muslims came to ...
- Little Green Birthday It's Charles Johnson's bi...
- Sorry I've been so quiet lately. It's been a pr...
- ▼ April (11)
- Make Money Online
- Staunch Moderate
- Rittenhouse Review
- Work at Home News
- Second String Swap
- Investment Banking Monkey
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- TRR Blog
- Bloombox Reviews
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry