Wednesday, November 05, 2003
6:34 PM | Posted by E. Nough
So apparently there's been quite a lot of consternation on the Left about CBS's preemptive removal of The Reagans after a mass protest from the Right.
I can see their point. Though I don't seem to remember any similar fury at this:
LOS ANGELES — A "Law & Order'' episode about violence during New York's Puerto Rican Day parade provoked angry complaints from Hispanic groups and a promise from NBC never to air the hour again.I saw that episode. It did not claim to be about real people. Its storyline had little to do with the parade itself; it just happened to be the setting. The killer was not Puerto Rican. The episode was preceded by the then-unusual L&O disclaimer, "The following story is fictional and does not represent any actual person or event." Law and Order has had many positive portrayals of Latinos, including Detective Reynaldo Curtis, a Peruvian played by Benjamin Bratt, and a central character on the show from 1995 to 1999. On the flip side, the show has had unflattering portrayals of virtually every other ethnic, religious, and political group. And yet, based on this one episode, which never generalized about the entire Latino population, the pressure groups managed to get NBC to not just apologize, but also take the episode entirely off the air, including reruns and even syndication, so you couldn't catch it in reruns on A&E or (now) TNT.
"We sincerely apologize for offending members of the Latino community regarding the portrayal of Latinos and the Puerto Rican Day parade ... we have agreed not to repeat the episode on NBC,'' the network said Thursday.
The episode that aired Wednesday depicted a parade day rampage by Puerto Rican youths in which women are molested and one is killed. A Brazilian youth is shown convicted in the death.
Where were the cries of outrage?
- ► 2004 (93)
- What a bunch of lamers By way of the Terran, I'...
- Steven Den Beste has an interesting post on what h...
- Something I'm getting sick and tired of are these ...
- I am going to try to keep this post civil. It'll ...
- By way of LGF comes an article on the reaction by ...
- Idiotarianism on display The Independent, most ...
- ICRC to Arabs in West Bank: Drop Dead . . .and ...
- I knew it! That "close door" button on elevator...
- Just a quick post to say that this behavior by rad...
- So apparently there's been quite a lot of constern...
- Just a quick note: I have not disabled comments on...
- Having decried European idiocy in my previous post...
- Unbelievable OK, look. I can deal when a senil...
- ▼ November (13)
- Make Money Online
- Staunch Moderate
- Rittenhouse Review
- Work at Home News
- Second String Swap
- Investment Banking Monkey
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- TRR Blog
- Bloombox Reviews
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry