Saturday, November 15, 2003
5:30 PM | Posted by E. Nough
ICRC to Arabs in West Bank: Drop Dead. . .and blame Israel:
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is ending its emergency food programme in the West Bank, saying the economic collapse there is the direct result of Israeli military closures and that Israel must live up to its responsibility as the occupying power for the economic needs of the Palestinians.Let me make something painfully clear: my concern is not with the Palestinians. They engaged in mass murder and continue to widely support it; destruction of their economy is a fitting consequence to the stupidity and depravity of their actions and views. I certainly wish no ill to innocent people who happen to share the misfortune of living in Arafat's little fiefdom, but I'm too busy worrying about Israeli children being bombed on buses to concern myself with some West Bank shlub's dozen malnourished rugrats. Sorry, I gotta draw the line somewhere, and they are on the other side.
. . .
Vincent Bernard, an ICRC spokesman, said: "This was humanitarian relief designed to assist in a humanitarian emergency, not to address the longer-term problems caused by curfews, closures and the collapse of the economy that has occurred. It is not our responsibility to take care of the economic needs of the Palestinians. We have repeatedly said it is the responsibility of the occupying power."
Mr Bernard denied Israeli press reports that the food programme had been cancelled for budgetary reasons. "As the occupying power, Israel has the responsibility to minimise the humanitarian consequences of its actions," he said. "You cannot go on for ever with the curfews and closures which are destroying the Palestinian economy. They have to find a different way to guarantee their security. If they lifted these security measures, the Palestinian economy, though damaged, would start again."
I do find it most enlightening, however, that when the politics is right, the ICRC is perfectly willing to walk away from a tragedy, wash their hands of it, and say, "Not our problem." Figures.
- ► 2004 (93)
- What a bunch of lamers By way of the Terran, I'...
- Steven Den Beste has an interesting post on what h...
- Something I'm getting sick and tired of are these ...
- I am going to try to keep this post civil. It'll ...
- By way of LGF comes an article on the reaction by ...
- Idiotarianism on display The Independent, most ...
- ICRC to Arabs in West Bank: Drop Dead . . .and ...
- I knew it! That "close door" button on elevator...
- Just a quick post to say that this behavior by rad...
- So apparently there's been quite a lot of constern...
- Just a quick note: I have not disabled comments on...
- Having decried European idiocy in my previous post...
- Unbelievable OK, look. I can deal when a senil...
- ▼ November (13)
- Make Money Online
- Staunch Moderate
- Rittenhouse Review
- Work at Home News
- Second String Swap
- Investment Banking Monkey
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- TRR Blog
- Bloombox Reviews
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry